Sunday, June 3, 2007

Could I Be SAD?

Here's what I'm thinking:

I am doing REALLY well off meds, kinda like I was never diagnosed. I think clearly, I feel great, I'm sleeping remarkably well, and have had zero episodes of depression or mania.

If I had to attribute my change to one specific thing (other than The Secret, God and determination), I'd say it was the change in the weather.

I'm an island chick. I HATE THE COLD!!! In fact, whatever is stronger than hate, that's how I feel about the cold weather.

I remember when I was badly depressed, I would hang out under the bed or under my dining table (with a thick table cloth) because I could keep the light out. Well, this morning, I thought: what if the winter makes me bipolar? What if I am seasonally bipolar?

Whaddya know, there is such a thing!

It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's more than mere "winter blues", it's very closely related to bipolar disorder.

Ironically, what is said to help is actually the opposite of me hanging out under the bed; it's to get as much light/ sunlight as possible.

Wow!

Why am I considering this if I am supposed to be healed or in remission?

Well, knowledge I power. I know how I feel, but it helps if I can explain how I feel to a doctor in their language if necessary. Worse case scenario, I help someone else.

So grateful for self -reflection and the Internet.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I have SAD in addition to the mood-swings. It wasn't too bad while I lived in Florida-type of weather, but it became very dangerous once I moved to a much colder climate.

Early this year I finally bought one of these full-spectrum bulbs. I didn't expect it to help, but it made a huge difference.

They say it can trigger mania in bipolar folks if left on at night, so I just turned it off by 7 pm the latest. No problem. :)

Butterfly said...

I'm having such a wonderful summer that I'm almost certain it's SAD.

Amanda said...

In my case the SAD is extra, because while it does get better as soon as spring rolls around, I continue to have mood-swings through-out the year. Ugh.