Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What Would You Do?

Do you watch Oprah?

Today's show was all about placing real people in sticky situations seeing what they do.

There were several episodes including:
- bigotry to a Muslim woman in a diner
- seeing a friend's bf on a date with someone else.
- 3 tween girls horribly teasing another girl

It got me thinking not only about what I would do now, but what I did when I was younger, and then I remembered.

I had a 7th grade classmate named "K". Her family was not as financially stable as other kids in the class. She wore her uniform several days at a time, didn't appear to take frequent showers, and often smelled.

I witnessed another classmate make a pen mark on her shirt to see if "K" would wear it the next day.

She did and was the subject of ridicule. I felt horrible, and purposed to get to know her.

I did and she became one of my best childhood friends.

I switched to another school for 8th grade and we lost touch.

I found her last week online.

Part of me wants to give a 20 year old apology. But should I?

Would I be bringing up old wounds only to make myself feel better?

Hmmmm, I think so.

I just thought that I have 20 year old hurts that affect me today. Maybe by me apologizing if she had a 20 year old hurt because of the incident, she could get some closure.

Hmmm. That's a whole lotta "if's".

I'll leave it alone.

Gratitude Moment: I'm grateful that I have a conscience and care to make wrongs right.

4 comments:

JC said...

That's awesome that you would be willing to apologize, it shows good integrity which *I* happen to value :)

But in all seriousness, DON'T tell the person now. It will just drag up all the bad memories that the person probably tried really hard to forget. Chances are even if they didn't know you guys did that, they were miserable about other things socially in grade 7... ;)

Amanda said...

I'll leave it alone.

Good idea. Another blogger received a similar apology once and it triggered a horrible episode for her. One never knows...

You were a good person even then B. In my humble opinion it's others who need to apologize...

Bleeding Heart said...

I saw this show on Oprah, too and I saw it awhile ago as well. Its hard I think to say "What would you do" when you are not in that situation. It is easier said than done.

If I was walking by and saw teenage girls bothering another girl or bullying - I would step in.

If I saw a man beat a woman - I would step in with that one, too OR I would take my cell and call 911.

Butterfly said...

Jenalexa/ Amanda, I'm not going to mention it. I doubt that she will.

I am just pleased that I recognize "right and wrong". It's a sad state to know that for some people, they would think I made much ado about nothing.