Saturday, April 19, 2008

PBS documentary, DEPRESSION: Out of the Shadows

Last Wednesday I attended a screening of the PBS documentary, DEPRESSION: Out of the Shadows. (Yup, I got out of the house.)

30 minutes of the 90 minute film was screened, and then followed by a discussion. Of the real life people featured, I especially remember the story of a gang member in New Jersey and what depresion lead him to do. Riviting :-)

With the exception of a small part of it that spoke about the benefits of Electric Shock Treatment, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There were 3 panel members that had experienced Depression, and a host of p-docs and t-docs in attendance. As I suspected, the docs all came to showboat about their practices, books and radio programs, but none of them new shit were directly affected by ANY mental illness.

And so ladies and gentlemen of the blogosphere, I came out of the closet.

Yup, to 100+ people, I told my story of having bipolar disorder, my struggles, fears and life as I knew it.

I took the p-docs to task for working with big business and pushing meds to get a payoff at the expense of serious consequences. I berated them for being quick to prescribe without disclosing details of withdrawal, side effects, etc.

I also took them to task for not working hard enough with insurance companies to cover more than 20 annual visits.

To the media in attendance, I scolded the industry for their role in demonizing people with mental health issues. It wasn't a rant, and it felt GOOD!

Yup, I see it in my future:
Butterfly the Mental Health Advocate/ Activist Philanthropist.

It's coming, I can feel it.

Please, put it in your Outlook, Blackberries and Treo's NOW, or simply write it in your planner :-)

You can read more on NAMI's website. It airs nationwide May 21, 2008. Check your local listings (I've always wanted to write and say that. :-) I'll say it again: Check Your Local Listings.)

Gratitude Moment: Thankful that hubby has been doing really well with his depression lately.

5 comments:

jennifer said...

Thank you for taking a stand for all of us.

I'm part of the media. I work for a newspaper. I hate my job because of how the reporters exploit victims of crime and accidents. And as you said, how they demonize us. I want to go back to school to become a mental health counselor so I can help people not hurt them like at the newspaper

Amanda said...

This is wonderful B. Thank you for doing this!

Bleeding Heart said...

That is awesome! Electrical shock treatment - I would never resort to it. You couldn't pay me enough to electrify my brain - it is fried enough. LOL!!!

Butterfly said...

I do not now or have I ever endorsed the shock treatment.

I had a roommate that hsd it done in her 20's. She is now 58, and the treatment renderes her catatonic at times.

Dreamwriter I agree with you, it just seems too extreme.

Don't worry, I'll remind you all of the air date and time!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there to see it:-) I am proud of you, and proud to have a person like you in my corner.