Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some Back Story

Ok, I know you're wondering what the heck prompted the last post.

Well, my parents and the majority of my family didnt't know that I got married, and now that they do, they launched a sh*t storm or negativity.

My mother said I'm "cursed and disgusting", "I was raised better", and "how could I."

My father said "how could I stoop so low as to marry for money."

Yup, the last 48 hours has been interesting.

So Butterfly, what did you learn from the hail storm o' crap?

I'm so glad you asked. :-)

Well, if you are being your most authentic self, and people react with anger, venom, etc, one of 2 things are happening:

1. They are lashing out at YOU because THEY would never have the courage to make the decision you did; especially if it goes against the grain.

2. They're actually mourning their expectations for you that will not (or they fear will not) come to fruition.

Oh, yeah. I am so having an aha moment.

The secret is out and I feel so free. I also feel so much closer to being ME, not who my family wants me to be, not who society says I should be, but ME. And guess what? On any given day, my concept of ME may change, and that's ok.

Why?

Because I say so!

Hooray for me!

Gratitude Moment: So glad that with each passing day, I care MORE about me and less about opinions, expectations, and perception.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

Here's my opinion, not that you asked for it...

You have to do what's right for you. Yes, your family's opinions matter, but they don't always know what's best for you. Of course, they always think they know what's best.

If you feel that getting married was the right thing for you, then I applaud you for standing up against what others think and doing what you needed to do.

Amanda said...

Charming people. I can understand why they were not invited in the first place...

Butterfly said...

Again, people speak in anger. Problem is, when the nager is no longer there, there must be accountability for the words spoken.

It was sad and hurtful, and still is, but I stand by my decision to get married and contend that mu husband has been the single best thing to happen in my life.

I'm proud of me and my ability to go against my family and do not what I WANT to do, but what is truly BEST for me.