Sunday, April 13, 2008

I Punish Myself Part 3

Hubby raised an amazing point today.

He asked what role me receiving spankings as a child plays in me punishing myself as an adult.

Yeah, my husband is quite the thinker.

You know what, I think he's on to something.

Why do parents spank? To teach a child right/ wrong, appropriate/ inappropriate behavior.

Why do I punish? To teach myself right/ wrong, appropriate/ inappropriate behavior.

But in the same way that I'm not learning from my punishment, did I learn as a child or did I simply alter my behavior to prevent future punishments?

Ok, this is heavy stuff.

Am I over thinking?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Gratitude Moment: Loving that each day brings a deeper understanding of me.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I got beaten up a lot as a child and no, I didn't learn anything from it other than altering my behavior for a while.