Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Deal with Spending

I love gadgets, computers, electronics, cellphones, and all blinky, beepy things.

But lately spending money has become a reason for me to punish myself. I buy something on impulse then feel like crap later, or I buy something that I can justify needing in the moment, but then tell myself later that I could have waited.

Anyway, until the house is old, hubby and I decided as part of our minimalist plan that unless we BOTH can justify the immediate purchase, we'll get rid of something before buying something new.

It feels good.

Gratitude Moment: Thankful that I care to be frugal.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

While I do think limiting your spending is a good idea, I don't think you should punish yourself for spending money. You buy something, you made a mistake... you learn from it and try not to do it again. I've been known to punish myself for mistakes. Plus, lately my husband has been going on spending sprees while he's been on bipolar mania episodes. I get onto him for spending so much money, but I realize that he feels bad about it lately, so I leave him alone, just telling him to try not to do it in the future.

Amanda said...

I can relate to spending money as a way to punish one's self. As of the beginning of this month I started paying myself a small amount into a piggy-bank every day. It's made me a lot more conscious about what's going on.

Anonymous said...

I need to do that too....get rid of things before I get new ones...