Monday, March 3, 2008

Me vs You

In the last 2 months, I've manage to piss off/ anger/ upset/ hurt/ alienate 3 people.

At random moments in the day, I think about words spoken, question my tone, ponder what I would have done differently, and whether or not apologies are in order.

You know what?

I started this year wanting to be my most authentic self. I was sick and tired of being the person everyone expected me to be. Quite frankly, I think "acting" contributed to my difficulty in managing my bipolar disorder.

Did I hurt feelings? Yes, but I spoke my mind. I've heard it said that depression is anger turned inward. Much of my depression came from biting my tongue. I've stopped doing so, and I am feeling a lot more true to myself.

Was I harsh? Yes, but at that point in my life, I used the tools that I had. I thought about what I wanted to say to each person for a while, and then I said it. Sure, some things could have been sugar coated, but why? I chose me.

Life is about growing, learning, changing evolving. In a month, I may feel differently, but right now I am proud of myself and proud to be living authentically me for the first time in my life.

No comments: