Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What's Your Problem?

Are you "mentally ill?"

Do you have a "chronic illness?"

Do you have a "psychological disorder?"

Do you have a "chemical imbalance?"

What's your problem?


I say this tongue in cheek of course, but only to draw our attention to how our words shape our behavior.

Bipolar disorder is a chemical deficiency that affects you psychologically. The deficiency of chemical transmitters leads to unpredictable mood swings ranging from depressive symptoms to manic symptoms.

It is NOT a terminal or chronic illness.

When I hear "chronic illness", I think of cancer that has spread throughout the body. I am not that, nor will I live thinking that there is something "wrong" with me or that there is a disease invading my body.

There's nothing wrong with me.

Some people have extra fingers or webbed feet.

I have low chemical levels.

Some people have a third nipple or cleft lip, my moods experience tremendous highs and lows.

Some people swallow 20/day or inject insulin; I monitor my stress, pray, journal, read motivational books and stay positive.

There's nothing "wrong" with me. I was simply dealt different cards.

What were you dealt?

3 comments:

ashmc2 said...

I wish my wife had a third nipple – I would name it winkie and show it as much attention as the others to let it know it is loved!!! Of course I’m a breastman. LOL.

Nice post. Now WE just need to believe it, always.

Later, Ash out…

Butterfly said...

LMBOAROTF!!!!

It's good to know that you wouldn't discriminate against the odd nipple.

Bipolarchick said...

LOL, I know 2 chicks with a third nipple.

But anyway, I love the way you elaborated on bipolar disorder.