Thursday, May 17, 2007

Expectations 2

Expectations 1

People have the right NOT to deal with your illness.

Seems unfair, right?

But truth is, we can't blame someone for NOT wanting to hang around for our cycling. We can't blame someone for NOT wanting to deal with our mood swings, prolonged funk or rage -filled tantrums.

Each individual must be honest about their limitations; limitations that have nothing to do with me or you.

Harsh, but true.

We expect those close to us to be present AND supportive as we wade through the murky waters of chemical imbalances, but it's really NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to cure us, fix us, or make us happy.

It's our own.

Further more, people have the right to choose to be around, and then when it gets to be too much for them, to leave.

You can't be mad at that.

I have shit.
You have shit.
Everyone has shit.

What if when you are going through YOUR shit, the person you usually turn to has shit of THEIR OWN?

Then what?

Are they less of a person, less of a friend because they can't help you?

Hmmmm.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

This is a very important realization.

Personally I do not expect people to stick around when I'm acting nuts/being depressed, but some might feel they have to. While I appreciate this, I try not to indulge anymore.

Butterfly said...

I can be really mean and frustrating at times. If i really care about someone, the last thing I want is to abuse them. I may do it inadvertently, but it's not ok.

So glad you get it; makes me feel less alone in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

its ok if you cant help, its not ok to judge a person for needing your help... hmmm.

Butterfly said...

I don't think I judge person for needing my help, but rather judge them for taking to long to get "it"...hmm, I guess judging is bad, period. I guess I need to wrap my brain around the concept that everyone is not like me.