Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Expectations

A friend is disappointed in me, and feels that I haven't been supportive, but rather judgmental.

I get it, but I don't get it, and it's frustrating me. Help me out.

I think it's human nature to have expectations.

People expect things, right?

Expect to be loved
Expect to be appreciated
Expect to be nurtured
Expect to be respected
Expect to be liked
Expect people to be responsible
Expect people to be honest
Expect to be treated fairly
Expect those close to just know
Expect to be understood

But expectations can lead to disappointment.

Lately, I haven't expected anything from anyone.

I DON'T expect to be loved; I accept that people will love me if they so choose.

I DON'T expect to be appreciated; I do and give what I can because I want to, not because someone will say "thank you".

I DON'T expect to be nurtured; I'll do it myself and people will too as convenient for them.

I DON'T expect to be respected; I command respect. PERIOD.

I DON'T expect to be liked; I'm either too much, too pretty, to young, too black, to smiley, to perky, dress too nice, too bitchy, too moody. WHATEVER! As I evolve I care less about being liked, and more about being respected.

I DON'T expect people to be responsible; people do stupid shit.

I DON'T expect people to be honest; some people are as honest as their options.

I DON'T expect those close to me to "just know"; how can they? I withdraw and speak when I feel like it. I leave nothing to chance. If its important, I say it.

I DON'T expect to be understood; I'm working my way through my haze. How can anyone else figure me out if I can't?

I don't expect thing from people because they are subject to change, as am I.

Are my "no expectations" the equivalent of "bullshit insurance"?

To be continued...

No comments: