Monday, May 12, 2008

I Was Starving

When I first moved to New York, I was living with an aunt and uncle.

I love my uncle, but think the aunt is a ...well, begin the "say something nice challenge" now.

Anyway, during my first week in NYC, the magnetic strip on my debit card was, er, demagnetised. I couldn't get any money out of the ATM. I had a check, but couldn't get it cashed because I have it for 8 days and NYC law states that check must be cashed in 7 days.

I had no money, well, a couple dollars, but I saved it to ride the train for job interviews.

So, for 2 weeks I went to interviews I would buy 4 bananas in the morning; eat one for breakfast, 2 for lunch and then the last as a snack.

I was sooooo hungry.

I got the the house one evening, starving but drained and sad. I got online and got an AOL instant message from a man named "Composer4TV".

What did I have to lose? I told him I was starving; just seeking an opportunity to vent.

He told me to call him, and I did.

He prayed with me and I received a check in the mail the next day.

I was the hungriest I've ever been, and God sent an angel.

I've never met him.

Gratitude Moment: Thankful for strangers who do good for nothing.

1 comment:

Mr B The Tech Teacher said...

Stories like this restore my faith in humankind, if only a little. I admire people like that man, willing to care for a stranger and give without expecting anything in return. Truly a kind soul.

I hope that one day I will be in a position to do such things :) For now all I can give are hugs...

*hugs*

~Shiv