Saturday, October 20, 2007

Prenup for Friends?

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Regular pre-nups allow each party to depart a marriage with everything they entered with or at least on terms that work for them.

Why can't you have the same thing for friendships?

There are people who've exited my life either by their own choosing or by my design. Some of which who really want to be friends again.

The fuzzy wuzzys are cool, but can I really trust them? Naw!

So I'm instituting the Pre-nup for Friends; it's specific to sharing information.

In essence, those who sign it would be forbidden to talk to anyone about me (including the media). They would also be prohibited from defaming me and from writing books about me. Those who do, would of course breach the contract, and be sued. Those who left my life wouldn't be permitted to return without signing the pre-friend.

Sound cold?

Well, as I see it, they left my life for a reason. Reasons don't simply disappear, so its likely to reappear when I'm even more successful.

Could a friendship last under these parameters?

I think so. That way I'm free to be completely comfortable and honest.

What about new people?
Well, case by case basis might work.

Hmmm, I guess this speaks to my level of trust for others, huh.

This isn't where want us to move as a world, but I don't know how to let people back in without some insurance.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I'm the one who thinks that a marriage should be a regularly renewable contract.