Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Enough Yet?

When is enough, enough?

I think back to Feb 2006.

I was living in a room without windows. Not an apartment, but a room. All I possess lay in a 10x10 room.

The highlight of my week was receiving my unemployment check.

My relationship was a sad memory.

"Look at what my life has become," I thought.

Whatever was below depression ... funk, maybe... well, that's what I was in.

I was living a bootleg version of the me I knew; and the me I knew, was wonderful.

When is enough, enough?

I wanted to great hair and makeup, regular manicures and pedicures. I wanted to enjoy life and to smile. I wanted freedom to be, but freedom lay just beyond the front door where I would need to enter a world that would judge me.

I was terrified, but the fear of sinking into a more pitiful state of me scared me more.

I had to leave my room, the apartment.

It wasn't a choice, it was the only option.

I had to get a job and baby step my way to where I wanted to be.

And so I did.

I got a job; not what I wanted, but it gave me a sense of accomplishment. It lifted my self esteem and motivated me to take another big girl step.

I started working in August 06, and I didn't get the permanent french pink and white manicure I wanted until February 07, but I was slaying a more destructive dragon in the process- self pity.

The longer I waited to understand my disorder, how it affected me, and how I affected other people, the deeper I sunk.

The longer I waited for someone to save me. The more life went to squat.

I had to save me.
I had to take the first step.

It's amazing how after the first step the universe sends opportunities your way.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

It's amazing how after the first step the universe sends opportunities your way.

Amen. I've seen it happen again and again.

Butterfly said...

Yes, and this is why there is STILL fight left in me.