Thursday, August 2, 2007

Are You handicapped?


Truth be told, I've had a very negative inner dialogue for the last 2 years.

Some of the things I've told myself include:

I'm ugly
I'm too skinny
I'm too short
I don't have enough experience
I don't have a butt or boobs
My accent is an issue
My looks are a problem
I'm weird
I'm bipolar


Trust me, the list does indeed go on.

Remember I told you to get "What Color is Your Parachute"? Well, it's an amazing job hunt reference, but who knew it would affect my self-esteem, too!?!?

Here's an excerpt:
The biggest handicap anyone of us can have is our attitude toward our handicap.

A real handicap means there are some things you can't do. So let's talk about that.

Let's say that there are 4,341 skills in the world. Let's say the average person has 1.341 skills. That's a lot. There are 1,341 things they can do. Well, is the average person handicapped?

Of course. 4,341 minus 1,341 leaves 3,000 things the average person can't do. The average person - no make that everybody - is handicapped.

So, what's so special about your handicap compared with others?


Nothing, unless you're obsessed with being handicapped [and so focused on the things you can't do that you never even try].

Nuff said.

JOKE
1. If you throw a cat out a car window, does it become kitty litter?
2. Why is abbreviation such a long word?
3. Why isn't "phonetic" spelled the way it sounds?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

One of my favorite quotes is "You are unique. Just like everyone else."