Sunday, July 22, 2007

What is My Job?

Well, apart from being sick the entire time in Vegas, I returned to New York even more confused about my role in the company.

On one hand they want me to be the PR Director. Sounds nice, doesn't it? Well honestly, the title probably means more to them than it does to me. To me, the position means I generate free press for the company. It means ensuring that that community views us in a favorable light. It means I do what I do best - network with people, get them to like me, trust me and work with me. Screw the title, let me do that! But "the company isn't large enough to warrant a full time PR Director". Or at least so I am told.

On to the next. They want me to write all the HR manuals - employee handbook, department and training manuals, etc. Not only am I GREAT at it I also enjoy doing it. My brain seems to function in a "best practices sorta way", and that's how I write. With 2 locations and 2 more on the horizon, these manuals are necessary to the success of the company, yet, "the company is not large enough to warrant someone a full time policy writer."

And finally, corporate sales. Yup, they want me to shmooze with the local corporation heads, get in there so they will love me and subsequently write a check to my company each month. They want me to do this because I am great at it, and most importantly, it generates revenue NOW.

But each one of these can be a full time position requiring full time pay!

What do I want to do?

Only A (PR)
A and B (PR and company manuals)
Only B (Company Manuals)

I hate selling shit!
I hate asking for money.


But you know what? They're expecting this of me because this is what I have ALLOWED them to expect. I haven't set the parameters around which I am willing to work on a take it or leave it basis.

I love the company, but I must be compensated. They STILL haven't approved my compensation structure that was supposed to be effective JULY 1ST!!!

This is the shit that irks my nerves.

Changes are gonna come tomorrow! WATCH!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck! You deserve to be in a position, where you can be at your most productive and yet at peace with yourself.

Butterfly said...

Thanks so much!

I'm trying to find one for real!