Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bip Reality Pt 2

Here's what I learned:

- In NYC, paramedics receive ZERO sensitivity training for people with mental illness;

- Hospital admission staff also need sensitivity training. While in the ER, Vanessa said that she was not bipolar at all, and that she had a nerve disorder. The admissions worker replied: "Sure you do." WTF?!?!

I know, I know they see people like this all the time, and you must develop a thick skin so you're not emotionally attached to everything they say or do, but damn! A smidgen of compassion, a sprinkle of understanding. The paramedic made her wild out even more because they spoke to her so gruffly!

SHE'S NOT IN HER RIGHT MIND YOU MORON!!!!!!

You know what, I change that - EVERYONE is in need of sensitivity training, including me.

Thankful that I am not too far removed from bipolar to be beyond increased awareness and sensitivity.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

EVERYONE is in need of sensitivity training, including me.

AMEN!!!

Butterfly said...

I'm learning, day bey day.