Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Hand to Hold

Please allow me to vent.

This is an open letter to every adult on the Franklin Avenue bound shuttle on Wednesday, May 23rd at 10:15 am.

Okay, so I'm sitting listening to my ipod, when I notice everyone looking toward the end of the train.

There was a man having a seizure; at least 30 seconds into it. He was banging his head against the window and moaning.

Would you believe that not even one selfish ass muthafucka got up to help, to aid, to do shit!

I dropped my bags, ran over, kept his head straight, tried to keep his mouth open as best as I could so he wouldn't bite or swallow his tongue, held his hand and prayed; YES OUT LOUD.

I checked his pulse when he relaxed, and when I saw that he was breathing, I began fanning him with a nearby newspaper.

When he could speak I got his name, contact number, emergency contact, found out he was an epileptic, off meds, and that he had not had a seizure in 5 months.

I also found out what he ate and any meds he was currently taking. (I obtained this info for the paramedics just in case he had another seizure.)

Not even NYPD touched him! They said thank you to me as if as a human I had a choice; real humans give a damn!

The paramedics came and said it was likely that he could have went into a coma or died had I not stopped him from banging his head against the window.

I don't want kudos.
I don't want job well done.
I don't want applause.
I don't want trumpets or clashing cymbals.


I want to know that if I have an asthma attack, pass out, etc, that someone will give a damn; even if you don't know what to do, holding a hand goes a long muthafuckin way.

You spineless muthafuckas who were content with watching a man die, need to be wiped off the face of the muthafuckin earth!

He could have been your father, brother, son, boyfriend, or YOU. But you would have died because you didn't want to touch him?

Because you didn't know what to do?
Because people were watching?
Because you were on the phone?
Because you had things in your hand?
Because he wasn't a Wall Street type?
Because its not your job?


Fuck you!

I won't even wish you being alone during your time of need. Just do me the favor of never riding any of the muthafuckin NYC trains!

So grateful that I had a hand to hold and the good sense to hold a hand.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This is so sad...and uplifting at the same time. There are still people who care!

(((((((((Butterfly)))))))))

Butterfly said...

Yeah, may we both have guardian angels.