Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Emergency Sirens

Today I exited the train platform to see FDNY EMT doing CPR on a passenger that was having cardiac arrest.

There were so many people around, simply looking.

Gawking, not saying anything.

What do you do when you hear and emergency siren?

My parents taught me to pray each time I heard a siren. Their reasoning is that the ambulance could be en route to someone I know, and even if they weren't wherever they were headed, there was a person in need of prayer.

So when I saw the man laying lifeless on the station floor, I did what I do each time I hear a siren - I prayed for healing, health and miracles for him, but I also prayed prayers of thanksgiving for myself.

See, witnessing the EMT in action reminded me on how close I have come to being in a similar state, and of times when I was in the same state.

It made me grateful.

And in the moment I was praying, I forgot about being bipolar.

No comments: