Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dear Oprah:

Dear Oprah,

I love that you built the school in Africa, and that you talk to celebs and help women find their correct bra size.

That's all f*cking awesome.

But you think you can pause to do a show about bipolar disorder and the struggle I deal with every day?

So it's not MS, Lupus, cancer or sickle cell, but it's hella important and we really need you to raise awareness and get people talking about this.

Why do you think some people kill themselves, turn to drugs and alcohol and go on murderous rampages?

Why do you think so many of us actually inhale?

It's the damn non-stop voices in our heads, the frustration, the paranoia.

We need a face, Oprah.

We need you to help.

I'm not saying stop cancer research, but can a few bucks be kicked out to find or make some f*cking meds that work?

Damn?

Oprah, I am even willing to come out of the closet to be the face. I guarantee you that you and your viewing audience will be surprised by the faces behind this disorder.

No one talks about it.

Hey, maybe I'll film a week in the life of the Butterfly or I won't take my meds (that don't work anyway) just so i could be manic or depressed (right now it's a roll of the dice); guaranteed to be a ratings booster.

Hey, use me for Sweeps!

I'll do anything to feel normal again.

3 comments:

Amber Anique said...

WORD!!! I actually wrote a letter to Oprah & Tyra...haven't gotten a response yet. I think taping a week of your life is an awesome idea, I actually thought of the same thing last night as I was crying myself to sleep.

Amanda said...

That's a fantastic letter. I hope you sent it!

I love the idea of filming your life. You could put it on YouTube and Google and we all could spread the word for you.

An autistic woman did something similar and now she has CNN & the like knocking on her door for interviews!

You never know what might happen...

Butterfly said...

I am tempted to do the filming or maybe even a vlog. The only problem with that is, I'm still in hiding.

If I'm going to come oue, I prefer a huge LEAP out of the closet with Oprah or another grand scheme where the world knows all at once, rather than a slow leak to immediate friends and family.

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.