Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's Gonna Be Genius!

I'm working on a ultra blog entitled "Theory of Relativity"; not like Albert Einstein.

(I tried researching his theory, and it sounds like gobbley gook. What the heck does it mean?)

Nopie, mine will go down in history be about interpersonal relations, and of course life as I see it.

The basic premise is that human understanding is relative to experience.

Want an example?

Ok, here's two:

* $1000 in the bank to some is GREAT, to others, it's reason for dread.

* Bipolar disorder is something to "shake" to some, for others it's life lived on a roller coaster.

Trust me, it's gonna be good :-)

What prompted it?

Well, the bipolar example came about after a conversation with my older sister last Sunday. She said that my brother's problems are rooted in his "lack of ambition and weed smoking."

When I tried to get her to understand that he has a REAL mental illness, she couldn't get it. I tried to use my experiences to help her get it, and her reply was as clueless and nonchalant as "Let them eat cake."

I love my sister, but much of her conversation was had with the bed (I put the phone down). Mental illness is not her reality. Her understanding of mental illness is relative to what she has seen and experienced.

Still, when I was in college, I had a girl tell me: "You're perfect. You'll never have anything to complain about? You're pretty, you're dating the star of the football team, you're thin, smart, you're perfect."

Isn't it ironic, that her words came during the time that I was in university mandated therapy?

I'm not gonna account the "pretty girl" blues. Rather, I want to ensure that I am more aware of how my reality is not THE reality. Still, there cannot be an absolute reality because everything is always relative to individual experience.

Oh, here's some good examples:

* A person who has always had the dream of a storybook wedding, can never understand people who elope;

* A person who needs to have a significant other can never understand people like Oprah who has a man, but chooses not to marry.


* Still, a woman who pines for a baby, can never understand those who chose not to have children.

I am so excited about writing that piece.

Anyway, I shut my cable off today, so Ill be writing A LOT!

Gratitude Moment: Thankful for moments of genius :-) in an at times cloudy brain.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds VERY promising. Can't wait! :)