Sunday, October 7, 2007

Forging the Anvil

Amanda's Awesome.

The following was taken from her blog "This Side of Reason":

"Don't you want to get up?" I asked.

"No," he looked at me pathetically, "I'm too sad."

This is something I understood only too well.

"It's ok to feel sad." I said to him with a lot more cheer than I felt. "But can you imagine what would happen if people would just sit there every time they felt sad?!

You wouldn't be able to buy any bread. The baker would be too sad to bake them. The stores would stay closed. The cashiers would be too sad to open them. Houses would burn down, the firemen would be too sad to put the fire out."

Now he was giggling. I kept making my examples more and more outrageous until he was jumping about laughing and coming up with his own examples. Soon he had changed clothes and he went out to play.

Ok. Hate me. But should I have really sat there and commiserated with him for an entire afternoon?

If he grows up to be manic-depressive like myself and his grandfather, and that's entirely possible, it might be a good idea to already learn how to separate feelings from actions - instead of learning at 30 or 60, like we did.

Feelings from actions. So profound.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm honored.

The idea of separating feelings from facts came from a woman, whom I admire very much. It took about 5 years to digest it, that's how foreign it was to me!

Butterfly said...

Amanda, I'm still working on it!