Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to Basics

1. The Good People

Many of the people who were around me when I was successful, are no longer present. These were the people who supported me, motivated me, encouraged me, gave without expectations, loved without judgment. They were the Nascar road crew that appeared each time I made a pit stop. They got me back in the race faster than I ever could on my own.

The Good People.
They built me up.
I need them around me.
I'm going to find them again.

2. God
I remember I would wake up each morning a 7am while in college and walk the track surrounding the intramural football field. I would walk 5, 10, 15, 30 times. I wasn't walking for exercise, but I would walk until I finished speaking to God. Being fit was a by product.

There are too many people around me that don't reflect God. Too many people around me that hinder and interfere with my God time because of the negativity, judgment, profanity, and ill that they bring.

There was a day when I never cursed, never swore (yes, there is a difference). There was a day when I wasn't this evil being that I am today.

I am confident that I am today who I permitted to be close to me yesterday. The only way to right the wrong, is place distance IMMEDIATELY.

3. Me

When I was successful, being good to me wasn't something I did before an audition, casting or date; it was commonplace. I never sacrificed what brought me joy because of how it would be perceived by others, or because I was too busy trying to fit into a world that would never accept me as I am.

I was Me.
Undiluted Me.
Unapologetic about Me.

I honored my voice.
I respected my opinion.
I never dumbed down.
I never apologized "just cuz".
I valued my creativity.
I had merit.
I recognized my contribution to the world.

I made time for my hair, nails, exercise, therapy, healthy eating, positive relationships, peer groups. Most importantly, I made time for God.

In college, I would wear what others considered weird, and I didn't care.

I would dress that way I wanted, style my hair the way I wanted, paint my nails in black because I wanted to do so.

I danced freely.
Lived Unapologetically.

Somewhere along my journey I abandoned my uniqueness to become a mindless clone; placing my happiness and success in the hands of a soulless world.

I want to return to Me.
I will return to Me.
I am ME!

Me means, doing what I want just because.

- Wigs & weaves cuz I wanna
- Wearing gold and silver cuz I wanna
- Wearing short shorts cuz I wanna
- Showing my legs cuz I wanna
- Loving my body because its mine
- Pink lipstick in the day
- No I don't want a drink
- I'm not interested
- No, cuz I said so

Me is choosing to release hate knowing that God takes personally what happens to me. I can relax, live and love knowing that vengeance belongs to Him.

2 comments:

ashmc2 said...

What do you consider successful?

You are one of the strongest people I have never met. You inspire me. You cognitively and constantly change your personal environment and internal processes for the greater good of you. You set goals for your mental, personal, and spiritual self. You are a shining star. Love yourself because you are you and that person is strong altruistic, and lovely. You hold no binds that you cannot untie. You are the master of your own universe: Power personified. Your words empower me and that’s what makes me happy and respect you. And yes, even when you are the tough hard Butterfly you bring a smile to my face.

What do you consider successful? The answer should be You.

Later, Ash out…

Butterfly said...

Wow.

I've printed those words and posted them to my mirror and have them in my wallet.

Thank you.